Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thanksgiving Corn

So I feel like I'm breaking the biggest food blogging rule EVER . . . I am posting a recipe of something I have not actually made or eaten. But, to be fair, it is a tried and true of my very good friend, Christy Miller and I have it on excellent authority that this dish is foolproof. It is a star at their meal and anytime I hear that about a vegetable (really, what veggie outshines dessert?) I have to try it. I am going to make it this year for Thanksgiving and who knows, maybe you want to too and if I wait till AFTER I make it to share the recipe, well, then Thanksgiving will be over. Hence my rule breaking. :)
I promise to add notes/photos after I make this.

Ingredients:
6 slices bacon, drippings reserved
1/2 cup chopped onion (yellow or white onion)
2 tbsp flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup sour cream
3 1/2 cups whole kernel frozen corn
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives (garnish, optional)

Directions:

In a skillet, fry bacon until crisp, you don't want any wiggly parts. Drain grease and save 2 tbsp drippings. Crumble the bacon and set aside. In your skillet with the reserved drippings, saute onions until tender, add flour, garlic and salt/pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly, then cook and stir one minute more. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream (isn't this sounding yummy?) Add corn, parsley and 1/2 the bacon, mix and pour into a 1 quart baking dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining bacon. Bake uncovered at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Serve with chives as a garnish.

* Christy says she usually doubles this for Thanksgiving and it fits perfectly in a 9x13. She also says to get a really high quality frozen corn, she uses the frozen organic corn from Costco with great results.

1 comment:

My Sister's Kitchen said...

It is delicious! I made it last year and am putting it on my blog tomorrow!