Friday, November 20, 2009

Italian Wedding Soup

This is a recipe that came from my cousin Jenny. It is so delicious and hearty. I am a soup lover and this one makes it in to the meal plan about once a month! (I will post a picture next time I make it...I forgot to get one this last time!)

Italian Wedding Soup

Makes about 12 cups

1 (10oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1T. chopped garlic in 1/4 c. olive oil
4 cups chicken broth
1T. dried basil
1t. SPIKE all purpose seasoning (you can find this in the spice aisle)
1/4 pound uncooked orzo pasta
1T. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
grated romano to taste

Meatballs: (I have used many different recipes for these...you can buy the meatballs if you want too!)
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
1T. chopped parsley
1 clove garlic

Heat oven to 350*.

To make meatballs, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper, parsley and 1 chopped clove garlic. Form into tiny meatballs. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until done.

Microwave spinach according to package directions. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out all moisture and set aside.

Saute onion, celery, carrot, 1T. chopped garlic in oil, 5 minutes or until onion is transparent.

Add chicken broth, basil and SPIKE and let simmer 5 minutes.

Add orzo. Let cook 8-10 minutes. Add cornstarch mixture, stirring slowly until soup begins to thicken. Add spinach to soup, followed by meatballs. Top with grated romano and serve.

1 comment:

jen said...

I am glad you put this recipe up. It is super good! I will put it on my list of things to make!