Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pizza, Pizza


We love pizza in our house. My hubster has an off colored way to describe his love for pizza. Let's just say that the basic idea is that good pizza is really good and bad pizza is still pretty good sorta like something else. Anyway, I make pizza about once a week. I have tried a few recipes and these are some of my favorites.




Pizza Crust


1 package active dry yeast

1 cup warm water

2T. vegetable oil

1t. sugar

1/4t. salt

2 1/2 cups flour (I use 1.5 cups whole wheat and 1 cup white flour...just a little healthier)

Cornmeal


In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, salt and 1.5 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a firm dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.


Roll to fit your pizza pan (normally 13 inches or so). Grease pizza pan and sprinkle with cornmeal. Transfer dough to prepared pan, building up edges slightly, Do not let rise. Bake at 425* for 12-15 minutes or until browned. Add toppings; bake 10-15 minutes longer.


Pizza Sauce

(this sauce comes from Sallie at "My Sister's Kitchen"--check sidebar)


1-14 1/2oz. can tomatoes (I drain these)

1-6oz. can tomato paste

1/4t. oregano

1/4t. basil

1/4t. black pepper

1/4t. salt

1/8t. garlic powder

1/8t. onion powder

1T. sugar


Place all ingredients in blender and pulse until it reaches desired consistency.



Assemble the pizza

So, I make my crust and prebake it. Then, I top it with desired amount of sauce. Don't over do the sauce or it will drip when you eat. Then I top with the toppings of choice which usually includes one or more of the following: pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, sausage, and spinach. I know the spinach sounds weird, but it is a good way to sneak some healthy stuff into your kids diets. The cheese then follows. Once all this is on, put it back in the oven and cook until cheese is melted and slightly brown.

No comments: