Saturday, November 7, 2009

Black Bean Soup


I asked my hubby the other day what his favorite meal was that I made and this is what he said! The great thing about that is that this is so easy...it is definitely my go to menu item. It is on the stove as I type this in fact.

The garlic pepper sauce can be made in advance and frozen. That is what I like to do. It will make enough for about 6 recipes of soup. One recipe will feed my family with no left overs.

Oh, and this recipe comes from Martha Stewart Everyday Foods...one of my favorite food magazines. Enjoy!




BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 cup thawed garlic pepper sauce (I never thaw it in advance, isn't that what the stove is for??)
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water

Put (frozen, in my house) garlic pepper sauce, water and chicken broth in a pot and heat until garlic pepper sauce is thawed. Add black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes.

Puree with an immersion blender or regular blender (though I would totally recommend investing in an immersion blender...they are awesome). If you do it in the blender make sure to work in batches since the liquid will expand when blending. Season with course salt and fresh ground pepper. Stir in 2-3t. fresh lime juice. Serve with sour cream and cheese, if desired.

No comments: