Alright, you caught me. This isn't a photo from my camera. I ripped it from the Everyday Food website. But in my defense, this chicken is soooo good, it didn't last long enough for a photo shoot at my house. Give this a try, its flavorful and juicy. It just smacks of summer food. The all-purpose spice rub recipe follows the chicken recipe.
- 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 thighs (3 pounds total)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for grates
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup All-Purpose Spice Rub
- Place chicken drumsticks and thighs in a shallow baking dish. Carefully slide fingers under skin to loosen it from the meat. Rub chicken all over with oil. Season with All-Purpose Spice Rub both under and over skin, patting in gently. Proceed to step 2 right away, or cover chicken and let rest for up to 24 hours. Cover and refrigerate if resting longer than 30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-low. Oil grates; grill chicken, covered, turning frequently to prevent charring, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part (avoiding bone) registers 175 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes.
ALL PURPOSE SPICE RUB:
Makes 1 1/4 cups (enough to season 5 to 10 pounds of meat, poultry, or seafood)
- 1/3 cup coarse salt
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients, using your hands to break up the sugar. Store in an airtight container, away from heat and light, up to 6 months.