Friday, September 11, 2009

Shredded BBQ beef

I've been a bad recipe blogger because I have been forgetting to take pictures! I guess I could post without photos, but it just seems so plain and boring. Don't we all love a picture to go with the recipe? Anyway, thanks to google for providing this one. Its pretty darn exact, in my opinion. This recipe hails from Gooseberry Patch Christmas Book 7, and I love that its a crock pot recipe. I simply adore them. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of just plain roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, that whole spread. But . . . I do like to do something else with all those roasts in my freezers every once in a while. Enter BBQ beef sandwiches! Its a family favorite round these parts. Just the right mix of sweet and spicy.

2 -3 lbs beef chuck roast ( I buy whatever beef roast is on sale. I figure its gonna get cooked to bits so who cares who fancy it is?)
1 small yellow onion, sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp brown sugar, packed and divided
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
7 oz bottle ketchup (basically one cup)
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
pepper to taste

1. Place roast in your crock pot, add enough water to cover. Top with sliced onion, heat on high for one hour. Reduce to low and continue cooking for 7 hours.

2.When its all done in the crock pot, remove and with 2 forks, shred the meat.

3.Place in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup water, bring to a boil. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar; heat until liquid evaporates.

4.Combine remaining ingredients with remaining brown sugar in a mixing bowl, pour over beef in skillet. Heat until warmed through. Serve with buns or eat by itself, serves 6.

No comments: