Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ranch-style Beans

My family loves beans, its something all of us enjoy eating. So I love recipes that add a little spice and pizazz, like this one, instead of boring from the can beans. I hope you like it too! Thanks to my Essential Mormon Celebrations cookbook for another winner. Fix these at your next BBQ!

1 lb bacon, cut in 2 inch pieces
1 small onion, chopped
1 red or green pepper, chopped (I used red)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
2 tbsp mustard
2 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 (16oz) can white or pinto beans, drained (I used pinto)
1 (16oz) can lima or butter beans, drained (I used butter beans)
1 (16oz) can red kidney beans, drained
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, UNdrained

Fry bacon in a large skillet until cooked but not crisp. Add onion and chopped pepper and cook for about 3 minutes. Drain off bacon grease and discard or save for another use. In a large baking dish, combine all other ingredients. Stir in bacon, onion, and pepper mixture. Bake at 325 for about 1 hour. Makes 12 servings.

*notes. In an effort to use my oven less and my crock-pot more, I put these in my crock-pot on low for about 3 hours and they were gggggreat!

No comments: