Wednesday, September 16, 2009

JJ's whole wheat bread


As you can tell by the photo, I got a little carried away with the flour dusting before baking. Wanting to give it a nice "artisan" look, but went a tad overboard. Oh well, tasted great anyway. This recipe hails from my mother-in-law, Janet. She is a fantastic cook and is health conscious to boot. Who knew that was even possible? But I digress. This makes one loaf and I prefer to make it the old fashioned way, read no mixer, kneading the bread with my own 2 hands. Its very rewarding, an excellent stress reliever. Feel free to whip it up in your bread machine, (on quick cycle) or kitchen aide or bosch. Whatever floats your boat. This makes your whole house smell yummy, tastes super AND is good for you, a winning combo. Thanks JJ!

2 cup whole wheat flour (if you grind your own wheat, that's 1 cup kernels)
1 1/4 cups bread flour
1/2 cup wheat bran (I buy in bulk at a health food store)
1/4 cup gluten (again, bulk )
1 tbsp yeast (my M-I-L recommends SAF brand)
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 cups plus 3 tbsp warm water

Dissolve yeast in warm water, let it sit approx 5 minutes until foamy. Mix whole wheat flour, bread flour, wheat bran, and gluten together in a large bowl. Add foamy yeast, oil and honey. Mix well, knead for approx 10 minutes. I spray plastic wrap with PAM, cover the bowl and let it rise until double. Must be because of the whole wheat and bran, (makes a denser bread) but it takes more than hour to double. Punch down, place in greased loaf pan. Let rise again, until 2 inches higher than top of pan. Bake @350 for 30 minutes. Cool in pan for a few minutes, than let cool completely on a rack.

No comments: