Friday, September 18, 2009

Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce



Apple and caramel, a match made in heaven! I have been jonesing for an autumn-y treat for quite some time now. Thanks to google for helping me find this gem. Here is the link to the recipe, its from Jamie at Good Eats 'n Sweet Treats, and the original comes from one of my favorite magazines, Real Simple. And I love how Jamie wrote that what attracted her to this recipe was all the butter! My kinda gal!

As I was chopping the apples, a tedious task for certain, I thought to myself, this better be worth all the work! One bite. That is all it took to convince me, it was well worth the work. The only thing that I might alter is that I would double the glaze, because it is not possible to have too much caramel with apples.

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the dish
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the dish
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I omitted this, not a nutmeg fan)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans (left these out)
2 1/4 tsp vanilla

Caramel Glaze, recipe below (optional)

Vanilla ice cream (optional)

Heat oven to 325° F.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, beat the butter and the granulated and brown sugars until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Using a wooden spoon, gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. The batter should be very thick. Stir in the apples, pecans, and vanilla. Scrape the batter into a buttered and floured 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Let cool for at least 10 minutes while you make the Caramel Glaze, if using. (If using, ha!!!)

Caramel Glaze

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the granulated and brown sugars and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Yield: Makes 16 servings

*notes. Jamie mentioned she had to bake her cake 65 minutes, so don't automatically pull your cake out at 60 minutes and assume its done. The toothpick test is vital with this recipe. This cake was fabulous warm, room temperature and for breakfast the next morning!

2 comments:

jen said...

One word: HEAVENLY. I savored every bite. This recipe is fantastic!!!

farmgirl said...

Oh...bless you dear friend. I'm salivating just over the memories. I really like you. :)