Thursday, September 24, 2009

French Bread Pizza

This is E-A-S-Y! In fact, I debated not even posting it because its so un-glamorous, but then I thought, the name of this blog isn't Gourmet Today, its called Good Eats and well folks, french bread pizza fits the bill. This is the way my dad has been making it for years and years. We eat this about once a month, throw some veggies on the side, some ice cold root beer and there you have it!

Sauce:
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 tbsp Italian herb blend (if you don't have a blend, throw together equal parts dried oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, etc.)
1 tsp fresh garlic (we like a heaping teaspoon)

In a small pot over low heat, stir ingredients together, just heating through and keeping warm until you spread it over the bread.

Pre-heat oven to 350.
Take one regular size french bread, slice it once the long way in half, and then I usually get 4 pieces out of each half.
Spread sauce liberally over each piece. One batch of sauce should be the perfect amount, you won't run out and you won't have any left over.
Sprinkle generous quantities of mozzarella cheese and top with your choice of toppings.

Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Eat immediately!

*a note. You can save left-overs, I just wrap them up in tin foil but microwaving really makes them soggy, I suggest re-heating in the oven or (shameful admittance,) eating it cold.

2 comments:

staci said...

So glad you do this blog and you aren't ashamed to post your non-gourmet recipes for your non-gourmet friends!! :) I am for sure doing this! I know my kids will love it! :)

jen said...

We love french bread pizza at our house!!