Monday, August 17, 2009

Teriyaki Chicken


From the World Wide Ward Cookbook, page 119, this is Ty's Shoyu Chicken, commonly called Teriyaki chicken. Family hit! Easy, tasty and flavorful. I did mine in the crock pot, see my notes at the bottom.

5-6 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated (I used dried ginger, about 1 1/2 tsp)
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cornstarch, mixed with 2 tsp water
1 1/4 cups soy sauce (recipe recommended Aloha shoyu, I used Kikoman)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
5 lbs chicken thighs (bone-in), skin removed (I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and since I have a small family, we need only 2-3 chicken breasts to feed us all, please adjust amount of chicken for your family)
green onions, chopped (optional, I did it, I love green onions!)

Combine all ingredients, except chicken and green onions in a large bowl or leak-proof plastic resealable bag. Add chicken to marinade. Marinate at least 4 hours, overnight is best. Place chicken in a single layer in a baking dish. Pour marinade over the chicken. Sprinkle with green onion. Cover with foil and let bake at 350 for 1 1/2- 2 hours. The chicken can also be grilled on a BBQ and basted with marinade. Eat with white rice and Hawaiian style macaroni salad.

*a note. I did mine in the crock-pot, no overnight or 4 hour marinating for me. So I placed the chicken in first, then poured the marinade all over it and let it cook on low for 5 or 6 hours, not all day or else the chicken disintegrates. I reserved the green onions as a garnish, they didn't go in the crock pot. I served it with white rice and chunks of pineapple. Yum!

3 comments:

jen said...

Yum! I think I have everything for this recipe. This just might be on the menu for tomorrow. Thanks!

jen said...

Update: I made this yesterday for my family and it was a hit! I loved how easy it was to throw everything into the crock-pot. I will definitely make it again.

annebabe said...

Jen, I'm so glad you liked it!!