Thursday, October 15, 2009

White Wedding Cupcakes


I love LOVE me a good doctored up cake-mix. Its a win win. Moist, easy and home-made all thrown together. Because I have to admit, I have made many a "from scratch" cake that is heavy and dry. I discovered this recipe by typing in "doctored cake mixes" on google.com and voila, stumbled upon this keeper. Thanks to Recipe Girl for introducing these to me, they are my go-to cupcake. My mom likes to make 2 9" round cakes, and spread lemon filling in the middle. This is quite the versatile recipe! My husband thinks they taste like they came from 25 & Main, a local cafe that is famous for delectable cupcakes. Its always cupcake season at my house. :)



Ingredients:

1 box white cake mix (Duncan Hines works very well)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup granulated sugar

¾ tsp salt

1 1/3 cups water

2 Tbs vegetable oil

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 cup sour cream ( I use reduced fat sour cream, fine results)

4 large egg whites

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans (you’ll need approx. 36).

2. In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar and salt. Add remaining ingredients and beat with hand mixer for 2 minutes, or until well blended.

3. Use ice cream scoop to fill prepared cupcake tins- fill about 3/4 full. Bake about 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Yield: 36 cupcakes

Cooking Tips

*Add a tsp. of almond extract (in addition to the vanilla) if you wish to have a different flavor.

**Using an ice cream scoop is perfect for getting the batter into the cupcake tins without spilling.

***You can also use this mix to make cake. Pour into greased and floured cake pans. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

*cooking tips courtesy of Recipe Girl.


Basic chocolate frosting; (Better Homes and Gardens)

1/3 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in the 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. Slowly beat in remaining powdered sugar and cocoa. Beat in any additional milk by the teaspoon, if needed, until frosting reaches desired consistency.

1 comment:

Elder Christian Sullivan said...

I just discovered Recipe Girl and love her website. Ahh! I seriously have to stop looking at these food blogs. It's killing me!