Saturday, March 27, 2010

Seven Wives Inn Granola


Here's the wet ingredients getting bubbly on the stovetop

The dry ingredients mixed together
The granola is baking and making my house smell wonderful


This granola recipe is off the hook. I eat it by the handful, sprinkled on top of oatmeal, stirred in with some yogurt and did I mention I like to eat it by the large handful? Staci introduced me to this delight-some treat and I love how easy it is to pull together, how healthy I feel eating it and mostly, how good it tastes. There is actually a bed and breakfast here in St.George called The Seven Wives Inn (dates back to Brigham Young/Mormon Polygamy times) and they are known for their fantastic breakfasts showcasing their homemade granola. Store it in a resealable container and you can munch happy for weeks.

Ingredients:
8 cups regular old fashioned oatmeal (not quick, instant or steel cut!)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups wheat germ
8 oz coconut (wide, unsweetened if available)
8 oz almonds (I like to use slivered)
8 oz cashews
3 oz sunflower seeds
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add wet to dry, blending very well. Spread on 2 large cookie sheets (I used my sil-pat liners, you'll want to use something to line your sheets so the granola doesn't stick.) Bake for 2 hours at 200 degrees. Let cool and store in an airtight container. I try not to break it into itty bitty pieces, I like bigger chunks I can grab while snacking. ;)

No comments: