Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cowboy Cookies

Another recipe I made for the soldiers with Operation Baking GALS. I wanted a cookie recipe that was hardy and used shortening, as opposed to butter, so it would have a bit longer shelf life. These came from Wendy Busenbark via the World Wide Word Cookbook. There is a little story printed next to the recipe in the book that tells how she teaches cooking classes at the junior high and how everyone, faculty and students alike, rave about these cookies.
They are rave worthy alright!

Ingredients:
1 cup shortening ( I use butter flavored crisco baking sticks)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups oats (I used old fashioned oats, but you could use quick, NEVER instant)
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1 cup chocolate chips (I am a milk chocolate chip fan)

Directions:
Cream the shortening, brown sugar, and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla, cream for 3-5 minutes. Trust me, its what makes the cookie. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Mix into batter. Stir in oats, nuts and chocolate chips. Spoon onto cookie sheet or use your cookie scoop, placing about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Makes 3-4 dozen cookies.

No comments: