Sunday, September 23, 2007

Coconut Bread




This is the recipe for which I called Anne (again). It is delicious. It reminds me of the coconut yogurt (which I ate in mass quantities) on my mission.

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2t. coconut flavoring
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c. buttermilk
1 cup coconut

Cream together eggs, sugar and oil for several minutes with a handheld mixer on medium speed, scraping down sides of the bowl often. Then add the coconut extract, mix well. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, powder and soda. Add to wet ingredients, mix for one minutes. Lastly, add the buttermilk and coconut at the same time, making sure to mix thoroughly.

Bake in two large, greased bread pans. Bake at 325* for 1 hour or up to 1 hr and 15 minutes. Rely on the toothpick test. My oven cooks hot and I usually do mine for about 1 hr and 10 minutes.

*A note from Anne. There has been some confusion as to how I actually make this bread since some people have tried making it on their own and have not been super successful. Here's the skinny: as with ALL quick bread (read banana bread, pumpkin bread, nut bread etc.) it is much better eaten the next day. Bake the bread, let it cool on a cooling rack, once its room temp, wrap in saran wrap and then aluminum foil. Let it sit overnight and I promise, its gonna be great the next day. I know it goes against the grain as far as the vast majority of baked goods are the best the day of, this bread is better day #2.

1 comment:

Tina said...

What a good idea, Stace! I'm glad to have this coconut bread recipe--it's delicious. It's fun to have my own kitchen again (in a manner of speaking :) Tonight it's Jumbo Oatmeal Cookies...