Saturday, July 4, 2009

Buttermilk Banana Bread

Another big hit from My Kitchen Cafe's famous Aunt Marilyn! Once I read that it had buttermilk, I knew I had to try it. I love the buttermilk, it adds such a mellow flavor. This bread is light and slightly different from other banana bread recipes, which is why I think its my new favorite. It made one nice size loaf, but Melanie at My Kitchen Cafe says that it makes one loaf and she has extra for a few of her mini loaf pans. I guess it depends on your bread pan. However much you end up with, you will enjoy it all!

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar (I substituted splenda blend and it tasted great!)
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup mashed bananas (3 average size bananas)
4 tablespoons buttermilk
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
dash baking soda

Cream butter and sugar together.
Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients.
Add dry ingredients to banana mixture.
Mix until combined.
Pour batter into greased and floured bread pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That's cool that Splenda works as good as sugar. I haven't ever tried subbing it for sugar in baked goods so I'm glad you included that tip in your recipe!