Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Dixie Salad


My daughter recently has expressed her undying love for all things pomegranates. Since I am happy when they are happy eating fresh fruits and vegetables, I had to make this salad. And it has homemade whipped cream in it. Which makes me very happy. So really, its a win/win for everyone. Thanks to my lovely Mary Ann for sharing this with me!


The sauce: (yes, this is a salad but it starts with a sauce, just trust me!)

In a small bowl combine;

2 tbsp cornstarch

1/4 cup water

1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice


Pour this mixture into a medium saucepan and add:

20 oz can crushed pineapple, DO NOT DRAIN

1/4 cup sugar

Mix all ingredients together and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.

Let cool completely!


In a large bowl combine:

2 apples, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
2-3 bananas, sliced
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2- 2 cup pomegranates
1 cup whipping cream (whipped) with 1/4 cup powdered sugar & 1 tsp. vanilla
1-2 cup mini marshmellows



Add the cooled pineapple mixture to the bowl with chopped fruit. Fold everything together. Keep chilled in fridge until ready to serve. And like all things made with fresh fruit and whipped cream, its best to eat it all the day you serve it or else it gets mushy. Read: spoon heaping mounds onto your plate because you don't want leftovers and because its deliciouso!

No comments: