Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ham and Cheese Breakfast Melt


Otherwise known as an Egg McMuffin, this conjured up memories of my days slinging fries at the golden arches. While personally, I enjoy a sausage mcmuffin with egg, (otherwise known in Mickey Dee's lingo as a "smeg") I have never been one to turn down any thing that has the words ham, cheese or melt in it. This recipe comes from the Biggest Loser pocket cookbook that is included in the workout DVD. Why would I need a workout DVD, you ask? Something to do with chocolate toffee cookies and nacho cheese dip, that's all I'm saying. Back to the recipe . . . loved it! I made the hubby's sandwich with egg whites and mine I included the yolk because I don't have the same cholesterol issues he does. :) Tasty, tasty, can't wait to make them again!

1 Thomas' light whole grain english muffin, split and toasted
1 slice (1 ounce) lean, low-sodium ham or lean canadian bacon
2 egg whites
1 slice low- or reduced fat cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Using a well buttered (or well "I can't believe its not butter" sprayed) egg ring, in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, pour egg whites into ring. Cover the pan and cook for about 3 minutes. Run a knife or spatula around the inside edge of the ring to break the egg loose, and remove the ring. Flip the egg over and cook it for about 30 seconds longer or until done. While egg is cooking, heat ham in the same skillet, its already cooked but you're just warming it up.

On one half of the warm toasted muffin, place the ham. Place the egg on top of the ham. While the egg is piping hot, lay cheese over it. Top with the remaining muffin half. Serve hot.

* Note, if you don't have an egg ring, you can use the ring from a widemouthed canning jar, sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.

*more notes! I couldn't find the exact english muffins listed here, my store only carried the Thomas multi grain english muffins, I figured as long as it wasn't the white flour muffin, I'm being healthy, right? Also, didn't have the time to scout for a lean, low sodium ham so I grabbed the hillshire farm deli sliced ham and put one slice on my muffin. And I used kraft 2% american singles. At the top of the recipe in the book, its says to make 2 at a time and save one for breakfast the next day because they reheat well. I'm not too sure about that, but would be interested in hearing from someone who actually reheated one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't it crappy when age starts sneaking up on us and we have to eat healthier? I miss the days when I could eat anything and it never showed!